Please contact us to discuss building work that has been carried out without a building consent so you can consider your options to comply with section 40 of the Building Act 2004.

We want to make sure the rebuild of our city happens as quickly and safely as possible. 

Some repairs can be done without consent from the Council, however work involving structural repairs and other more significant work often requires a building consent.

It’s important to make sure that any urgent repair work carried out, for example, during an emergency, has been inspected and a certificate of acceptance (Form 9) issued where possible.

Here's what you can do

If you think you may have carried out work without the required consent:

  • Call 941 8999 and ask for the Duty Building Consents Officer. Advise the Council of any work you are aware of that has been done without consent.
  • Ask about a certificate of acceptance. In some cases, this may help.

A notice to fix

A Notice to Fix (Form 13) is a formal notice issued by the Council advising that there has been a breach of the Building Act 2004 and that you need to take action to remedy this e.g. building work that has been carried out without a building consent.

If a notice to fix is issued you are required to address the issues identified within a prescribed timeframe stated on the notice to prevent further action being taken.