Setting up a new hairdressing business will mean dealing with a number of different departments at Council and other agencies.
They may be able to offer technical advice or information to help you decide whether to proceed with your business.
Christchurch City Council
Contact us on (03) 941 8999 and ask for the specific unit.
Environmental Policy and Approvals Unit
- Civic Planning Team for advice on the City Plan requirements, zoning and resource consent applications
- Civic Building Team for information on building consents, safety, sanitation and means of escape requirements including change of use and earthquake strengthening if required and access for people with disabilities.
Inspections and Enforcement Unit
- Health Licensing Team for further information on premises construction,standards and hygiene matters, mobile hairdressers and signs
- Enforcement Team for information on Bylaws and Signs
City Water and Waste Unit
- For information regarding hair traps, back flow prevent ion and the drainage of yard and rubbish storage areas.
Christchurch Small Business Enterprise Centre
For advice on setting up and developing a small business, (03)366 9978.
Department of Labour
Occupational Safety and Health – for advice on Health and Safety in Employment requirements, 0800 20 90 20.