Public spaces

Permits are required for trading in the public places in our city.

Public speaking

An area in Cathedral Square has been designated as a special use area for public speaking. No booking is required however only one hour speaking at a time is permitted.

Cathedral Square - public speaking map [PDF, 41 KB] [PDF 41KB].

Amusement devices

Amusement devices must have a permit to operate and a current Certificate of Registration.

Street performers

Rules about street performers and pavement artists in public places in our City.

Mobile or travelling shops

Apply for a permit to operate a mobile or travelling shop.

Retail stalls

Permits for temporary stands, stalls, tents, mobile shops or other set-ups that are removed each day.


A permit is required for hawking in any public place outside the not-permitted areas.