Authorised drainlayers need to be suitably experienced individual workers who have relevant experience and skills.

To become authorised by Christchurch City Council, drainlayers need to provide evidence to Council that they have:

  • Experience in laying drainage pipes in accordance with industry best practice, and are familiar with Council standards and specifications.
  • Completed confined spaces and traffic management training.
  • Health and safety systems in place.
  • Quality assurance systems in place.
  • Public liability insurance cover.
  • The resources to carry out the work quickly and efficiently.
  • Agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions [PDF, 99 KB] set out for the scheme.

Apply now

  • Download the application form [PDF, 21 KB].
  • Pay the $550 (incl. GST) non-refundable application fee per applicant (not per company) either by cheque or at the cashier at Council offices in Hereford St.
  • Send or email the application, including all required documentation (as outlined on the application form) to:
    Post: Authorised Drainlayers, City Services, Christchurch City Council, PO Box 73014, Christchurch, 8154

On-site technical assessments are required to ensure that the applicant has the necessary experience, technical skills and resources to carry out authorised work in accordance with Council regulations and standards. The applicant will be contacted by the Council assessor to arrange the assessments.

Approval will be given in writing only and is only awarded to the individual and not to commercial entities. It is not transferable and can be withdrawn by the Council upon non-compliance with the rules as outlined in the Terms and Conditions.

Please note that due to the large number of applications and the associated on site assessments the current turn around time is a minimum of 4 months. 

Enquiries about the scheme can be made by phoning Council on (03) 941 8830.

Authority to Access Council Services Confined Spaces (Categories 1, 2 and 3)

An Authority Letter and Authority Card from the Christchurch City Council is required before you enter any Council owned confined space. The Authority to Access Council Services Confined Spaces is only granted once you have completed the following NZQA Unit Standards:


  • 17599 – Plan a Confined Space Entry
  • 25510 – Operate an Atmospheric Testing Device to Determine a Suitable Atmosphere Exists to Work Safely
  • 3058 - Perform gas tests for an energy and chemical plant

Note: You must complete unit standard 17599 along with either 25510 or 3058.


  • 18426 – Demonstrate Knowledge of Hazards associated with Confined Spaces
  • 19207 – Enter, Work in, and Exit a Confined Space in the Water Industry
  • 17596 – Safety Observer
  • 25044 – Wear and Operate Compressed Air Breather Apparatus in the Workplace (mandatory if using BA equipment).

To maintain your authorisation, completion of refresher courses once every two years are required for these standards.

Send a copy of your up to date confined spaces training certificate, showing the unit standards completed, to:
Post: Confined Spaces, City Services, Christchurch City Council, PO Box 73014, Christchurch 8154

CCC Protocol for Entering and Working in Confined Space

If you are not working under an established Permit to Work system approved by the Council (i.e. that of City Care Ltd or Fulton Hogan), you must follow the CCC Protocol for Entering and Working in Confined Spaces [PDF, 731 KB] and AS 2865:2009 Confined Spaces for all confined space entry.

Certifying Drainlayers

Certifying Drainlayers are not Council Authorised Drainlayers.

A Certifying Drainlayer is registered under the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 2006. This defines a drain as 'a pipe or series of pipes constructed or laid for the conveyance of foulwater, stormwater or industrial liquid waste', but 'does not include a pipe or series of pipes that is vested in or under the control of or maintained by a local authority'.

Hence a certifying drainlayer is registered for laying privately-owned drains (i.e. on private property), whereas a Christchurch City Council authorised drainlayer is approved for working on Council-owned and maintained assets including future assets which are to be vested in Council ownership.