You can request a drainage plan from the Council which will show the pipelines and waterways on, or flowing from a property.

The Council can supply private drainage plans up to 1:500 scale, usually provided electronically and A4 size in printed or electronic format. A drainage plan might include:

  • Public and private sewer pipes
  • Public and private stormwater pipes
  • Open waterways that have been located on site and plotted or electronically recorded from field surveys

Water supply plans

You can also request a water supply plan – there is no charge for this. A service plan shows the water supply pipelines to a property’s water meter. The Council does not hold records on water supply pipe locations within private property boundaries.

Requesting a plan

You can request a private drainage plan by emailing, or by contacting us.

Requests made in person are processed immediately. Phone and email requests are processed within 24 hours (weekdays only), and will be emailed. Please note there is a cost for private drainage plans.

Building over Council owned drains

If you are rebuilding a house or garage you must check your plans don’t involve building over a Council drain. Christchurch City Council has a Bylaw to protect waterworks and specifies the proximity of building work near drains – including public water, wastewater and stormwater pipes. This is so the Council can check, repair and replace drains quickly and efficiently.


See Fees - Regulatory & Property Information (Drainage Plans) for current pricing.