General resource consent topics

Floor level requirements

Find the specific floor level heights for your property that will be considered as part of any building consent.

Significant Trees

Trees are a major part of the city’s character and amenity. There are city plan rules to protect a number of the city’s most significant trees.

Heritage buildings and items

Resource consent is required from Council for alterations to, or demolition of heritage items in the Christchurch City or Banks Peninsula District Plans.


The rules around the placement of signs can be complex and various consents and permits may be necessary.

Decks and fencing

Your rights and responsibilities if you are wanting to build or repair a fence on your property boundary.

Vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing is the section of driveway from the front of the property boundary to the roadway. It is possible to widen or relocate your vehicle crossing.


If you are planning to carry out major excavations, filling, or earthworks on your property, you are likely to need a resource consent.

Older persons housing

Information about specific building consent requirements if you are building for older persons housing (OPH).

Home occupations

Information about specific planning requirements if you are wanting to work from home.

Relocating a building

Relocating an existing building to a new site within the city in most cases, will require resource consent.

Residential intensification

The rules promote infill housing and intensification as a way of quickly increasing the availability of residential accommodation, without changing the overall character of residential areas.