This page looks at the important council events that took place between 1941 and 1960.
|1941||1 April||Huntsbury and Borough of New Brighton join Christchurch City Council. Sir Ernest Andrews (1941-1950) is elected as 38th Mayor of Christchurch. Sir Ernest Andrews was a member of the Christchurch City Council from 1919-1950 and established the printing firm Andrews Baty Ltd In 1907. According to Rice (1999:109) “He was EPS District Commander during the war and a long-serving member of the Education and Tramway Boards.”|
|1942||16 December||Construction of the Sign of the Takahe taken over by the Christchurch City Council.|
|1943||1 April||St Andrews Hill (Mt Pleasant) joins city.|
|1945||1 April||Sumner Borough, McCormacks Bay and Hillsborough join city.|
|1946||August||Hagley Park and Botanic Gardens handed over to the Christchurch City Council by act of Parliament and the Christchurch Domains Board is abolished.|
|1947||14 May||Mabel Howard (Sydenham) becomes Minister of Health, New Zealand’s first woman Cabinet Minister.|
|1948||1 October||Christchurch City Council takes over Canterbury Public Library from University of Canterbury.|
|1949||February||Christchurch City Council Coat of Arms granted armorial bearings. February 21
Sign of the Takahe officially opens. This marks the completion of the Summit Road developments which Henry George (Harry) Ell began in 1908
|1949||1 December||Sir Sydney Holland (Fendalton) becomes Prime Minister of New Zealand. Sydney Holland was the son of former Christchurch Mayor, Henry Holland (1912-1919).|
|1950||1 December||Kerr’s Reach cutting on the Avon River completed.
|1950||16 December||Harewood Airport becomes New Zealand’s first International Airport.|
|1950||December||Christchurch City Centennial celebrations include an open air church service in Cathedral Square with over 30,000 people in attendance and a procession watched by over 100,000.
Honourable Robert Mafeking MacFarlane (1950-1958) is re-elected Mayor of Christchurch (previously Mayor of Christchurch 1939-1941).
|1953||1 October||Over 3000 hectares of Waimairi (showgrounds area), Heathcote (Bromley area) and Estuary included in city.|
|1954||11 September||Last tram journey in Christchurch.|
|1955||1 April||Part of Halswell area joins Christchurch City.|
|1955||28 May||First parking meters installed.|
|1955||20 December||First Antarctic flights by USAF Operation Deep Freeze from Christchurch begin. From time to time a few applications were received requesting permission to reproduce the Coat of Arms for various purposes and the Council’s policy was to deal with the applications based on merit. On few occasions the Council consented to the reproduction of its Coat of Arms principally for articles in which the Council had quite an interest. One such occasion was Operation Deepfreeze III in 1957 to Antarctica. Air Transport Squadron 22 of the United States Navy wished to name one of its aircraft ‘City of Christchurch’ and in accordance with tradition wished to use the Coat of Arms. The aircraft was christened in Norfolk, Virginia on 9 September by the British Consul.|
|1956||8 November||Last trolley bus runs in Christchurch.|
|1957||15 September||Christchurch City Council grants charter (Freedom of the City) to RNZAF, Wigram.
|1957||Blenheim Road and the over bridge are completed.|
|1958||Sir George Manning (1958-1968) is elected 39th Mayor of Christchurch.|
|1959||The population of Christchurch reaches 200,000.|
|1959||26 November||Memorial Avenue (a memorial to airmen killed in World War 2) officially opens.|
|1960||22 Feburary||New Airport terminal designed by Paul Pascoe opens.
|1960||24 September||Cr A.R. Blank, Chairman of the Waimairi County Council, officially opens Jellie Park. Jellie Park was, up until 1960, a dairy farm of 26 acres. It was gifted to the Waimairi County Council to be a park named after its donor James Jellie. More information on the development of Fendalton/Bryndwr area is on the Christchurch City Libraries website.|