Rolleston Avenue on street opposite Cashel Street.
The commemorative bronze statue of James Edward Fitzgerald, the first superintendent of the Province of Canterbury (1853−57), was donated by Christchurch citizen Richard Green. The sculptor Francis Shurrock was a leading interwar New Zealand sculptor. The statue is on a stone plinth on a concrete base. A terrazo plaque is inscripted on the front of the plinth. The inscription reads: 'James Edward Fitzgerald First superintendent of Canterbury 1853–1857.'