The bridge spans the Avon River at the end of Cashel Mall.

A stone bridge spanning the Avon River with a large ornate archway spanning the East end of the bridge. It is a War Memorial erected by the citizens of Christchurch to initially honour the sacrifice made during the 1914–1918 Great War, in 1923.

Visitor information is available at the site. Download a copy of the short history of the Bridge of Remembrance [PDF 1MB].

Find the Bridge of Remembrance.

Canterbury earthquakes

The Bridge of Remembrance was structurally damaged in the 22 February 2011 earthquake, but inspections soon after suggested it was stable. There was no apparent worsening of the structure as a result of the aftershocks on 13 June 2011 and 23 December 2011.

From January to April 2012 tests were carried out to determine the ground conditions around the bridge abutments. This information is essential as part of the design process to develop the best permanent repair strategy for the Bridge. Options for permanently repairing the Bridge and Arch were investigated throughout 2012.

Triumphal Arch and Bridge of Remembrance

September update

Triumphal Arch

Triumphal Arch

The Triumphal Arch standing proud with scaffold removed. Final earthworks are being completed at the base.

The SCIRT earthquake repairs on the Triumphal Arch are close to completion.

The scaffolding has been taken down in two stages. Initially it was reduced to the minor arch level to give better access for work in this area. Now the scaffold has been completely removed revealing the completed arch. The post tensioning work is now complete in the minor and major arches. The internal cavities of these arches are now filled with concrete. In total there were 30 concrete pours with a total of 220.5m3 of concrete.

The arch is now a rigid structure with the stone work as a façade. The mechanisms that have been installed i.e. sliding joints and rocking collars, will allow this rigid structure to move in a controlled manner if there is another seismic event. The sliding joints in all three arches are now installed. Each joint is made up of steel plates that will slide on each other in a controlled manner. All the stone that was removed to either be repaired or to allow access for the installation of the mechanisms has been placed back on the arch. The symbols that sit in the middle of each arch have been put back in place.

People will have noticed that the lions are again sitting on top of the minor arches. When work started in June 2013 the lions were removed and carefully placed in storage.
The lions were originally carved in six pieces. Some of the earthquake damage included cracking along these joins as well as spalling or chipping of the stone. The tail ends, that are attached to the main arch structure, shattered.

The return of the lions was a slow process as each piece was carefully put in place to ensure they were not damaged. The stone masons then repaired the lions on site. They have carved some new pieces as well as doing small repairs to the cracks. Stainless steel pins have been inserted into the lions to prevent shear movement, movement from forces along the base of each lion. This is added protection if there is another seismic event. All the attachments and symbolism has been returned to the arch. The bronze lanterns have been hot waxed as part of their annual maintenance and installed along with the flags.