The Bandsmen's Memorial Rotunda, a well known landmark in the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, is to be repaired and strengthened.
Situated within Harman's Grove overlooking the Primula Garden and surrounded by daffodils, this Rotunda was the first memorial to be erected within New Zealand. It commemorates the sacrifices of bandsmen who lost their lives in World War One.
Designed by S. and A. Luttrell Brothers, one of the leading firms of architects at the time, the Bandsmen's Memorial was officially opened by MP Sir Heaton Rhodes in September 1926.
Repairing the rotunda will ensure it can once again become a popular venue for a wide range of musical entertainment, from brass bands, pipe bands to string quartets. It is also used for functions such as weddings.
The Rotunda has a Grade II Historic Places Trust listing.