Thomas Edmonds, the manufacturer of the famous brand of baking powder, commissioned this garden around his new factory, built in 1923.
The garden and factory, which feature on the cover of the best-selling Edmonds Cookery Book, have been a horticultural delight for generations of visitors and residents of the city. The gardens have won many awards in civic beautifying competitions and are a popular site for outdoor weddings and photography.
Until the late 1980s, a succession of gardeners was employed full-time to maintain and develop the formal geometric beds, lawns and plantings of annuals. Recently new, enclosed areas of a more natural style have been developed, with an emphasis on low maintenance, featuring permanent plantings of evergreen shrubs and dwarf conifers.
The City Council acquired a major portion of the original Edmonds Factory Garden in 1991 after the building had been demolished and the property sub-divided. Since then, a rose garden and an oval garden have been added. The garden is well supported by the local community and a dedicated group known as Friends of the Edmonds Factory Garden works with the City Council to care for the garden.