Linwood Cemetery opened in 1884, was the first Christchurch cemetery located outside the town ‘on sanitary grounds’.
Entrance off Butterfield Avenue (next door to Bromley Park on Buckleys Road)
It was at one time called Christchurch Cemetery or Sandilands Cemetery, on account of the sandy soil, very suitable for digging. It has many large and interesting monuments, most of which are to the memory of early residents of the eastern suburbs. It has a Jewish section, including graves resited from the 19th century Jewish cemetery in Hereford Street. There are many notable people buried in the cemetery, along with a number of 'colourful' characters.
This cemetery, which has some exquisite examples of early monumental masonry, has fallen into disrepair as a result of vandalism and neglect. The sandy soils on this site do not provide a sound foundation for headstones and surrounds. An extensive restoration programme is currently in progress. This includes repairs to monumental masonry, path reconstruction, landscape enhancement and entrance redevelopment.
The Linwood Cemetery Working Party was set up as a vehicle for community input into planning and redevelopment and they have been active in work at the cemetery, along with Linwood Intermediate School.
The cemetery was the first Christchurch cemetery located outside the town ‘on sanitary grounds’ and is situated on what was once a large sand dune.
The cemetery is open to all denominations and is divided into specific areas. The layout of the cemetery is a variety of grid patterns despite the undulating topography.
The cemetery has a Jewish section, including graves re - sited from the 19th Century Jewish Cemetery in Hereford Street and is an important site for the Hebrew community as it is the only designated Jewish cemetery in Christchurch.
In 1884 the Council approved the construction of a tramway to the cemetery from the corner of Cashel and High streets and by 1885 had built a tramway hearse. Although now covered by asphalt, tram tracks survive beneath the main pathway within the cemetery.
There was a Sexton’s Lodge situated near the Butterfield Avenue entrance and a simple mourning kiosk. New gates similar in design to the original were built in 2005 at the Butterfield Avenue entrance.
The cemetery contains a range of graves from traditional monumental style to newer memorial style. There are a small number of elaborate sculptural monuments the most notable being the Fairhurst mausoleum, the peacock mausoleum and the Henry Thomson grave.
Plantings in the cemetery include exotic and more recent native planting, pines and macrocarpas which are concentrated around the perimeter of the cemetery.
Linwood Cemetery is available full except for burials pre purchased plots and second interments.The Jewish area. has available burial plots.
Linwood has available ash plots.