Dog registration fees fund important animal management services throughout the city.
Your dog registration fee is used to fund:
- Free dog micro-chipping for every dog registered and resident in the city, which is updated to the National Dog Database (NDD) and serves 2 purposes (a) to assist in the recovery of lost dogs and (b) provides accurate identification of a dog to a dog owner.
- A dog registration database and information systems which are a legal requirement of all Councils, and records details of every dog and owners within the city. This database also enables the re-registration of dogs each year and production of reminder notices for owners. All dog and owner details held on the Council's dog register are uploaded to the National Dog Database (NDD)
- Free education programmes, including-
- "DOGSMART" which is an educational program used to advise school children on how to avoid and prevent dog attacks.
- Adult education courses which is based on bite prevention, dog care, welfare and dog owner responsibilities.
- "Kids reading to dogs" programme is an exciting new venture which enables children to improve their reading ability while reading to dogs.
- Dog shelter facilities for the care, welfare and return of lost dogs.
- New dog park development and the maintenance of the existing dog parks and exercise areas, throughout the city.
- Investigation, monitoring and resolution of dog nuisance complaints, providing communities safe from dangerous and aggressive dogs and also the monitoring of nuisance dog issues.
- Patrols and enforcement of public places to protect public safety around prohibited beach and wildlife areas.