Residential and commercial water supply connections.


Applications for new residential water connections are usually processed as part of a Building Consent application.

A standalone application can be made at any Council service centre, including Civic Offices, or you can download and post a completed Application for water connection (WS1) [PDF, 1.6 MB]. You can indicate where you would like to have the water meter installed and the contractor will try to install the connection as close as possible to your preferred location, although where it ends up will depend on the water supply infrastructure.

Once the application has been approved you will be issued with a project or permit number - this is normally located on the top right hand side of your consent application. You should quote your permit number when making any inquiries about your water connection.

Water connections are normally installed within 10 working days from the receipt of the application. The Council requires full payment of the water connection fee before it processes the application.

The Council's connection (or meter) box is usually located in the footpath just outside the front boundary. In some instances, they are installed in 'right of ways' and occasionally on private property. The actual position of your meter will be recorded on the water supply plans.


Commercial water connections and fire service connections require some planning before the application can be processed. Complete the Application for water connection (WS1) [PDF, 1.6 MB]and return it to the Council along with a water supply site plan.

Commercial water connections require adequate backflow protection to protect the public water supply from contamination.

The Council will do an estimate of the cost for connecting to the city supply. Once the estimated fee is paid, work can start on your connection.

The time frame for installation is particular to each connection and is subject to factors like the location of the water main, traffic management and the size of connection.

Application for a temporary water connection (WS3) [PDF, 942 KB]