Investigations have shown that ultraviolet light disinfection (UV) is feasible and we are assessing the costs and benefits of using UV at a number of pump stations.
Preliminary design work has been completed for ultraviolet light disinfection at Main Pumps, in Beckenham, in the central supply zone.
Treatment options that were considered:
- Coagulation sedimentation and filtration – this is difficult with high-quality source water
- Membrane filtration – expensive to install
- Chlorine dioxide disinfection – offers little advantage over chlorine and is expensive
- Ozone disinfection – not suitable given high bromide levels in source water and is expensive
- Ultraviolet light disinfection (UV) – effective against bacteria and protozoa, does not result in taste or odour in the water.