What you need to consider when obtaining a building consent for a commercial, public or multi-residential building.

Whether your build is simple or complex it is important to understand the consent process and how it protects people and property.

Most buildings that are commercial, public or multi-unit residential have additional requirements to make sure they remain safe to use once the building work is complete.

We recommend:

  • That you engage an experienced professional (e.g. an architect or draughtsperson) to help with design work, drawings, specifications and documentations.
  • You understand how to apply for a building consent. Find out early in your project if a pre-application meeting will help you plan your project.
  • You find out if you also require resource consent – a pre-application meeting can help you with this. 
  • After Council has received the application, some types are required to be provided to the Fire and Emergency New Zealand for their advice. For your information the types of applications that need to provided can be found on the Gazette webpage.(external link)


When applying for a multi residential, industrial or commercial building consent, please include and carefully complete these forms:

Other forms you will require if the items listed below are included in your application:


Refer to the Building Consents Fee Schedule and Resource management schedule of fees 

Building on land subject to a natural hazard

Section 72 of the Building Act 2004 is concerned with building on land which is subject to a range of natural hazards, such as flooding, slippage, erosion. There are difficulties in building on such hazardous land for both the owner and the Council. Refer to Building on land subject to a natural hazard for more information.

Other useful information