If you need to demolish, remove or relocate a building you may require building or resource consents.

You require a building consent to:

  • demolish or remove a building if it is attached to another building or is over three storeys in height. (Refer to exemptions under the Building Act - Schedule 1(external link) if this applies to your situation)
  • relocate a building to a new site.

You will also require resource consent to:

If you require a building consent, complete and submit the following application form and check sheet:

You may also need to fill out additional forms as specified on the application form or check sheet.


Refer to the Building Consents Fee Schedule.

Other useful information